Are you noticing that your teeth tend to bleed as you brush them? Are your gums sensitive to the touch? Have you found any of your adult teeth have become loose? If you have or noticed any of these dental problems, do not hesitate to call Smiles by Martin. If you live near Southlake or any of the surrounding areas, Dr. Greg Martin works hard to make sure you get the affordable dental treatment you need. If you are suffering from any of these problems with your teeth and gums, you may be one of the many adults who suffer from periodontal disease.
Don’t worry; you have come to the right place! We want to help you learn more about what periodontal disease is and how we promise Dr. Martin can help you. We will be able to evaluate you and will work to find the best periodontal disease treatment plan option for you.
What is Periodontal Disease?
If you have been told that you have periodontal disease and don’t know what to do, you’re not alone. Many adults in the U.S. alone suffer from gum disease, and we are here to help. What we know about Periodontal Disease is that it ranges from being just a bit of gum inflammation (gingivitis), to a very serious disease. If Periodontal Disease is left untreated, there may be serious consequences that could lead to the loss of teeth.
Signs and Symptoms of Periodontal Disease:
- Gums that bleed when you brush or floss
- Red, swollen or tender gums
- Gums that have pulled away from your teeth
- Pus that sits between your teeth and gums
- Bad breath
Periodontal disease worsens as the pockets or space between your teeth and gums fill with bacteria, plaque, and tartar causing tissue irritation. If these toxins are left on your teeth for a long period of time, they can cause gingivitis.
How can I avoid Periodontal Disease?
Avoiding gum disease is simple! Clean your teeth thoroughly twice a day (once in the morning and once before bed). It’s also important that you floss between your teeth during your cleaning to keep your gums healthy and strong. Also remember to see the dentist three times a year. Although a healthy teeth cleaning every day will keep your teeth nice and refreshed, it is important that you get the right dental cleaning to clear out the hard to reach areas of your mouth.
How is gum disease treated?
When looking into treatment for periodontal disease, we will need to look into the type and the severity of the disease. Our main goal of treatment is to control the infection. The number and types of treatment you will need will depend on the extent of the gum disease. It is also very important to avoid any factors, such as smoking. Smoking could increase your chances of risking a more severe type of gum disease.
Types of Periodontal Disease Treatment Options:
- Teeth Cleaning: A professional dental cleaning is necessary to keep your teeth healthy and strong. It is important to have a dental cleaning once every three months to get rid of the bacteria that a normal toothbrush cleaning at home won’t get rid of.
- Scaling and root planing (deep cleaning): A special periodontal cleaning that requires a deep cleaning to remove the plaque, tartar, and pus in and around you gums. This procedure will help your gum tissue heal and pockets to shrink.
- Surgical Treatments: If pockets do not heal after scaling and root planing, Dr. Martin may recommend a more invasive type of treatment for you.
Don’t wait. If you live in and around Southlake, we can help you find an appropriate and affordable treatment plan for periodontal disease. Please call Smiles by Martin, at 817-481-1041 so we can set you up with our next available appointment.