Orthognathic surgery is a single or double jaw surgery offered by Smiles by Martin near Colleyville, TX which is performed to realign the jaws and teeth to improve the way they work. Jaw surgery may be a corrective option if you have moderate to severe jaw problems that can’t be resolved with orthodontics alone.
Also, did you know that our jaws have a lot to do with the way we look? Facial harmony is achieved as well with orthognathic surgery. When the jaws are moved forward or backwards, up or down, or rotated, the facial soft tissue in the chin, cheeks, lips and tip of the nose move accordingly. Therefore, once the jaws are correctly positioned a harmony between the facial features is acquired which results in a beautiful profile. The end result of this oral surgery will have both inner and outer influence for the social status of the patient.
Other benefits of orthognathic surgery include:
- Making biting and chewing easier and improve chewing overall
- Minimizing excessive wear and breakdown of the teeth over years of use
- Correcting underbites, overbites and crossbites
- Improving “gummy” smiles, where the lips don’t fully close or pull upward and show large areas of the gums
- Improving “toothless” smiles, where the lips cover all the teeth
- Reducing the risk of temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disorder and other jaw problems
- Providing relief for sleep apnea
If you think you may need orthodontic jaw surgery please don’t hesitate to contact Dr. Greg Martin at Smiles by Martin near Colleyville, TX for an expert second opinion. And as always, we at Smiles by Martin are happy to answer any questions you may have about your dental health. Keep on brushing!